Crucial consumer trends for 2010
It wouldn’t be December without a few stories on what to look out for in the next 12 months, so here we go – with “ten crucial consumer trends for 2010.“
Compiled by trendwatching.com, the list is introduced with the statement that “from ‘urban pride’ to ‘forced sustainability’, next year will bring a bonanza of opportunities, as even cautious consumers crave pragmatic or exciting innovations.
1. Business as UNusual: Forget the recession: the societal changes that will dominate 2010 were set in motion long before we temporarily stared into the abyss. And even when the downturn ends, there won’t be a return to ‘business as usual’.
2. Urbany: Extreme urbanization will lead to more sophisticated and demanding consumers around the world. Urban culture is THE culture.
3. Real-time reviews: Whatever new product or service gets launched in 2010, it will be reviewed in real time. Transparency tyranny (or triumph) is upon us.
4. (F)luxury: With status symbols becoming more fragmented, luxury is whatever consumers want it to be in 2010.
5. Mass mingling: Online lifestyles are actually fueling real world meet-ups, shattering all predictions about a virtual and socially isolated future.
6. Eco-easy: In 2010, corporations and governments will force consumers to be more green by restricting the alternatives. Say goodbye to consumer choice.
7. Tracking & alerting: Tracking and alerting are the new search. Next year, consumers will further expand their sphere of control.
8. Embedded generosity as a trend will further adapt to the zeitgeist, leading to more pragmatic and collaborative charity.
9. Profile mining: With hundreds of millions of people now nurturing their online profiles, 2010 will be about consumers making money from these profiles, from intention-based models to digital afterlife services.
10. Maturialism: 2010 will be even more opinionated, outspoken and raw than 2009; thank the anything-goes online world for that. Which brands will be equally daring?
More information at: http://www.trendwatching.com