Site offers shoppers points for online gaming
A new website is being tested that rewards its members with virtual currency for use in online games when they shop at big-brand retailers or conduct a number of other marketing actions.
The GamePoints.Com, operated in a beta launch by virtual currency provider Offerpal Media, site also rewards users for taking part in offers from trusted advertisers, completing market research surveys, watching online videos and trading in unwanted gift cards via the Plastic Jungle online gift card exchange.
Offerpal says points earned can be exchanged for in-game virtual currency in more than 1,500 online games and applications across “the Web’s top social networking platforms, virtual worlds, MMOs and other gaming sites.”
Ways of earning points include:
• Shopping: Earn 2 – 30% of the total purchase price when shopping at retailers such as Macy’s, Gap, Buy.com, Sears, Snapfish, Symantec, Eastern Mountain Sports and CostPlus.
• Taking Part in Offers: Take advantage of coupons, discounts and other ad offers from advertisers including Netflix, Disney, Discover Card, New York Times and DirecTV.
• Completing Surveys: Fill out online surveys from market research firms including Nielsen, comScore and Synovate.
• Trading in Gift Cards: Send in unwanted gift cards using a free shipping label through Plastic Jungle and receive Game Points for the exchange value of the balance remaining on the card.
• Recycle Used Electronics: Trade in old cell phones, laptops, PDAs, camcorders and other electronics through Gazelle.
• Purchase Music or Movie Tickets: Purchase tickets to movies currently playing in theaters through Fandango or MP3 music downloads through iTunes.
• Subscribe to Magazines: Choose from popular magazine titles such as Cosmopolitan, Cook’s Illustrated, People and Men’s Health.
• Direct Payments: Purchase virtual currency directly through a number of cash payment options, including credit cards, e-wallets, pre-paid debit cards and mobile billing.
If the site is given a full launch after the beta testing, Offerpal says users will be able to exchange their gift cards in for Game Points that can be used on 1,500 participating gaming applications such as Zynga’s FarmVille, YoVille, Zynga Poker, Mafia Wars, Cafe World, PetVille, FishVille, Vampire Wars and others; Playdom’s Mobsters, Sorority Life, Social City, Tiki Resort and others; Digital Chocolate’s MMA Pro Fighter; HitGrab’s Mousehunt; TheBroth’s Barn Buddy; Tall Tree Game’s Fish World; K-Factor Media’s Castle Age; Tree Room’s My Town; Apps-O-Rama’s Car Madness; Offbeat Creations’ Be a Tycoon; BitRhymes’ The Warlords; and Five Minutes’ Happy Farm.
“Plastic Jungle excels at helping people exchange gift cards for whatever it is they really want,” said George Garrick, CEO of Offerpal Media. “Our collaboration brings social gamers yet another way to access virtual currency on the games, applications, and sites they love.”